Capro-X is searching for a Bioprocess Engineer to join our growing team in Ithaca, NY, with an opportunity to onboard with the company immediately. This employee will be joining at an exciting time for the company, as we are in the midst of evaluating a large-scale fermentation system at a Greek yogurt plant, continuing to accomplish innovative R&D at the bench-scale, and evaluating novel green chemicals with customers.
The Bioprocess Engineer will predominantly work in the company labs in Ithaca, performing bench-scale bioreactor operations, wastewater-type samples analyses, analytical chemistry and enzymatic assays, and method development. Our ideal candidate will have hands-on and independent wet-lab experience; knowledge of microbial growth practices; comfort with building pumped water systems, basic AC/DC circuits, and light manufacturing; clear and effective communication skills; and an ability to multitask across varying demands. With relevant experience, there is an added opportunity gain experience operating a large-scale demonstration system.
In this fast-growing startup, this team member will gain first-hand experience in a challenging and dynamic environment – we strive to provide broad experiences that come with joining a growing startup and to find new potential hires who can apply multidisciplinary experiences to enact creative solutions, have a “get it done” attitude, and share our ambition to bring greater sustainability to the world.
- Collaborate with R&D team to operate bench-scale bioreactor and chemical extraction systems.
- Analyze samples (OD, pH, COD, BOD, VSS) and system observations to identify performance issues and opportunities for improvement.
- Perform maintenance on lab equipment.
- Develop experimental approaches through ideation, design, construction, and analysis phases.
- Experience in wet-lab environment, in particular with a fermentation or wastewater background.
- Experience with operating and analyzing biological and chemical systems in batch and continuous mode.
- Construction experience with hydraulics, and basic manufacturing (NPT/socket/barb/Swage, power and hand tools).
- Experience with AC/DC wiring, Arduino/Raspberry Pi, PC and networking components, basic coding.
- Goal oriented and able to work independently.
- Able to learn skills on your own, seek out knowledge.
- Strong writing and presenting skills to communicate with team.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds regularly.
Education and Experience Level
- BS / MS in a relevant engineering or science field (for example: biological, environmental, chemical, mechanical; microbiology, food science) OR graduated recently with these credentials.
- Industry and academic experience are heavily preferred (previous internship or position, independent research).
Interested candidates should submit application materials to [email protected] with the following tag in the subject line: [CPRX bioprocess eng 2021]. Improperly addressed applications may be lost in automated filters.